Thursday, February 11, 2010

The irony of it

I have been thinking of my German roots lately. I remember my Grandma telling me her father came to America when he was in the 6th grade. His mother was so strict with them speaking English without an accent. They left Germany searching for more religious freedom (being Catholic) in America. Now like over 100 years later in Germany I sometimes wish I could step through time and have my Great-grandpa give me a tour of his one time home. I wonder what he would think of his childrens childrens children and THEIR children coming back to the country of his birth, and speaking his mother language. I wonder if I have family here? Maybe that old woman who says good morning everyday to me?? I wonder if I am walking the same ground as my ancestors? I wonder if its possible to find any family here? What would they think of me, of us? Would they accept the American Muslim married to an Arab as a part of their family? Could they show me old pictures or letters from them? So many questions but so little answers. I wonder what he would have thought of me living as a Muslim here, although I am sure since he left for religious freedom maybe he would be happy to see I am free to live here and practice a religion that is so vilified. He was gone before the Nazis and separation and re-uniting of Germany. Did he miss home?

So so so many questions so much I want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment